Watchcase maker's foot bellows: 20th century
© Museum of London
Full image caption
Watchcase maker's foot bellows. This foot bellows have four iron legs and was used by Richard Oliver. The Oliver family of watchcase-makers used these bellows in its Clerkenwell workshop. They were last used by Richard J Oliver (1904-89), the fourth generation of his family to become a watchcase-maker. He joined the firm at 31 Wynyatt Street, Clerkenwell in 1920. In 1941, the business moved to a larger workshop at 25 Spencer Street and, in 1949, Richard took over the business from his father. He remained at Spencer Street until 1971, when compulsory purchase by Islington council forced the sale of part of the workshop.
1920 AD - 1945 AD