Full image caption
Watchcasemaker's workbench stool. The Oliver family of watchcase-makers used this stool in its Clerkenwell workshop. Richard J Oliver (1904-89), the fourth generation of his family to become a watchcase-maker, joined the firm at 31 Wynyatt Street, Clerkenwell in 1920. In 1941, the business moved to a larger workshop at 25 Spencer Street and, in 1949, Richard took over the business from his father. He remained at Spencer Street until 1971, when compulsory purchase by Islington council forced the sale of part of the workshop.
© Museum of London