Full image caption
Wooden framed display unit with panels of glass. This unit includes samples of glass used in the building trade. From the showroom of George Farmiloe & Sons Ltd, it includes examples of the range of glassware supplied by the firm. Farmiloe's was established in 1824 when the first George, a glasscutter, acquired fixed premises for his trade in west Smithfield. Initially the business focused on the supply of glass and paint to builders and tradesmen. Farmiloe's is a typical London small industrial firm-family-run, operating as both manufacturer and merchant with links to a network of other London firms. Its initial location on the fringes of the City, and subsequent migration to the suburbs in the 20th century, in this case to Mitcham, Surrey, echoes London's larger-scale industrial history.
© Museum of London