The Blind Asylum at Southwark: 1848
© Museum of London
Full image caption
The Blind Asylum, Southwark, published for Dugdale's England and Wales Delineated. This asylum was founded in 1799 by four philanthropists who named it 'School for the Indigent Blind'. The initial aim was 'to educate and maintain fifteen blind persons who should be taught a trade.' The school moved several times and is pictured here in Blackfriars Road. At the beginning of the 20th century, it relocated to Surrey and became the Royal School for the Blind. The establishment is now known as SeeAbility. It helps blind and partially sighted people to lead independent lives.
1848 AD - 1848 AD