Full image caption
The Astorian. Souvenir programme issued to commemorate the opening of The Astoria cinema in Brixton. The cover is printed in green and sepia brown and includes a drawing of the entrance and facade of the cinema that opened on August 19th 1929. The central pages are taken up by 6 images showing the interior of the cinema including the fountain hall and tea terrace. The programme describes how, in the search for a carpet, 'The emporiums of the greatest carpet manufacturers in this country and on the continent were searched for an ideal design, but the search proved fruitless'. Finally, the design was copied from the architect's garden paving in Chislehurst.
© Museum of London