Glass storage jar: 20th century
© Museum of London
Full image caption
This in carboy, in its protective straw-filled iron strapped basket, was used by M Chaikin & Co in its kosher wine-making and distilling workshop in a basement on the corner of Brick Lane and Fournier Street. The firm produced wine by crushing dried fruit such as sultanas and raisins. The UK trademark of the company was Bozwin, which stood for Beauty of Zion Wine. The company also ran an off-licence at 72-74 Brick Lane, and supplied London's East End Jewish community with kosher wines and spirits for nearly 80 years. The workshop and off-licence closed in 1976.
1880 AD - 1976 AD