Full image caption
Olympic torch. This torch was presented to the Museum by the organising committee of the 14th Olympiad, held in London in 1948. It was one of over 1,600 torches used to carry the Olympic flame across Europe, from Olympia in Greece to London, before the opening of the games. The flame was lit in on 17 July and carried across Greece, Italy, Switzerland, France, Luxembourg and Belgium, finally arriving in the Olympic stadium in Wembley for the opening ceremony on 29 July. All but the final torch were of burnished aluminium and burned a solid wax fuel. They were given to each of the 1,600 relay runners after they completed their leg of the journey, and bore the inscription 'XIV Olympiad, 1948. Olympia to London with Thanks to the Bearer'.
© Museum of London