Full image caption
Rotary washing machine. This large, power-driven rotary washing machine and spinner was used at J. J. Lane Ltd, the public laundry in Abbey Street, Bethnal Green. The borough council opened the laundry in 1898. The building also included a public washhouse, which had a separate entrance in Cheshire Street. Such facilities provided local residents who had no running water at home with a place to bathe and wash their clothes. This machine is belt-driven and has an hydro-extractor and spinner with motor.
© Museum of London