Wooden collecting box: 20th century
© Museum of London
Full image caption
Wooden collecting box inscribed "The Children's Union/Homes for Crippled Children". This collecting box was used to raise funds for the Children's Union. The charity was a children's club founded to support the work of St Nicholas' Home. Originally based in Tooting, St Nicholas' was both a hospital and a home for disabled children in care. In 1908 St Nicholas' moved to a new, larger site in Pyrford, near Woking, Surrey. There were branches of the union across the UK and overseas. Children raised funds for St Nicholas' by holding fetes and other events.
1920 AD - 1935 AD