Full image caption
Armband worn by staff evacuating children during World War Two. It consists of a rectangle of green cotton with two tapes at either end. It is printed with the inscription "L.C.C. / EVAC. IV 365". There is a crowned coat of arms to the left of the inscription. Preparations for the evacuation from 'danger zones' began in 1938. The government order for evacuation was issued on 1 September 1939. In London, all children registered for evacuation gathered at local schools along with their teachers and awaited transport to safe areas. The successful implementation of the evacuation scheme depended on an army of volunteers, and the government urged all women to offer their services to their local council.
© Museum of London