Covent Garden hand truck: 20th century
© Museum of London
Full image caption
Covent Garden hand truck. A porter working in Covent Garden market used this handcart to transport fruit and vegetables. 'E Keeley Neal Street' is carved into the chassis, referring to Ellen Keeley Barrows. Established in 1820 this family-run business made and rented out hand trucks and barrows to traders operating in London's markets. Based in Neal Street, Covent Garden, the firm also ran a florist and a boxing gym. The name E. Bevington painted on the chassis probably refers to the name of the Covent Garden fruit and vegetable wholesaler who rented the truck from E. Keeley.
1900 AD - 1950 AD