Full image caption
The Surrey Lock of the Surrey Commercial Dock in 1876. This river had been modernised with hydraulic equipment to open and shut the gates. it was the entrance for the newly built Canada Dock, which was linked to Albion Dock, as well as the principal entrance for the Surrey Canal, which had branches to Peckham and Camberwell. In the foreground the two monkey boats can be seen, which would have carried goods to the numerous wharves asn factories along the canal. On the skylikne, the outline of Shadwell on the north side of the river can be seen.
1876 AD - 1876 AD
© PLA collection/Museum of London